Saturday, November 9, 2013

Interview with David Todd

I recently had the pleasure to speak with David Todd, author of "In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People" and ask him a few questions about the book and his upcoming writing projects.



Q: What was the inspiration for “In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People”?
David A. Todd

A:  Frankly, I wish I knew!  After I finished my first novel, I needed an idea for the next one and the idea just came to my mind.   However, I would say that because I don’t like the changes in baseball lately such as specialty pitchers, I wanted to create a character that would be like someone such as Walter Johnson.  Ronny Thompson’s character spoke for those who long for those days. As noted in your review, I do realize that Ronny’s performance would be impossible in today’s game, but I developed his character for the nostalgia. 

Q: Why the tie–in with organized crime?

A: I had a conversation with a person who said that he was a baseball fan, but he was not aware of the 1919 Black Sox scandal.  I wondered how someone who called himself a fan could not know about this, but realized a lot of people don’t know or study history. I then thought of what a modern version of that scandal might look like. From there the plot with the organizations placing large bets and bribing players to throw the World Series in much the same manner.

Q: What were your baseball experiences?

A: I have been a fan of the Boston Red Sox and the San Francisco Giants (because of Willie Mays).  My earliest baseball memory was seeing Bill Mazeroski hit the winning home run in the 1960 World Series.  Unfortunately, I only played pickup baseball as I didn't have the skills to play well enough to make a team.

Q: Do you have any future sports books or writing projects?


A: I am writing a sequel to this book, titled “Headshots”, which is about 25% complete.  I got the idea from one of my beta readers who noted that the end of “In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People” there were several plot elements to finish.  These included what would become of Ronny and his girlfriend Sarah, how he dealt with his injuries, would the bet be paid off, what would become of the mobsters who were caught or the three players who took the bribes.   So with all of these elements to finish, a sequel is being written.  I am learning new writing skills as I write it and I anticipate it being released in time for the 2014 baseball season. I also have ideas for stories about professional football and college basketball.


No comments:

Post a Comment