Sunday, March 26, 2023

Two short reviews - "The Sea Lanterns" and "Sky, the Deaf Home Run Hero"

This is the third post for not only a book I completed on the train, but also a short children's book for which I received a review request.  I will share a short review on each one.



First review: 

Title/Author: "The Sea Lanterns" by Ben Nickol

Synopsis: Marooned at a backwater college and hungry for more, Athletic Director Scott Darrow plots his ascent to a better job at a better school.

He has the talent, charm and Machiavellian nerve to go far, but when he hires a famous coach to run his basketball program, the coach proves to be unstable and possibly insane.

Now, to escape professional oblivion, Darrow must maneuver and manipulate this coach, and manage the town’s intensifying suspicions. No measure is too drastic. No tactic too cruel. But complicating Darrow’s work is his own unsettled history, and in wrestling with this history, Darrow begins to understand his frail coach with jarring personal clarity.

Perhaps the two men aren’t as dissimilar as they’d seemed. And perhaps Darrow’s future—even if it’s triumphant—will mean not banishing his ghosts, but living forever in their company.

Rating: 3 stars of 5 (okay)

Review: To be completely honest, I am not sure what to make of this book. I really could not figure out the plot, not even at the very end. Was it about Dr. Darrow wanting to leave Fog Harbor for a better job in Albany? Was it about coach Leo Kelly and his eccentric personality? Was it about basketball, especially the college administrators such as the chancellor and athletic director? Or was it possibly something deeper that I just didn’t grasp? I never got the questions answered but I like the development of the characters, especially Dr. Darrow, Coach Kelly and Darrow’s girlfriend Jade. I’ll never give a bad word a bout a book I finish and while I may not have been able to completely understand the plot, I think readers will enjoy this book.

I received an advance review copy and am leaving this review voluntarily.


Second review:

Title/Author: "Sky, the Deaf Home Run Hero: by Mickey Carolan

Synopsis: Although young Sky was born deaf, it doesn’t stop him from doing what he loves most: playing baseball!
Eager and determined, he works hard on his skills until every ball he hits soars out of the ballpark like an eagle… Sky has a superpower! But when the bullies try to bring Sky down, will his new superpower give him the courage to face them?

Inspired by his late father who was deaf, author Mickey Carolan masterfully brings an authentic story of resilience and friendship for families and early educators of young children.

Rating: 5 of 5 stars (excellent)

Review: This is an excellent book for children who are either deaf or are victims of bullies. It shows that no matter what obstacles one might face, when a child discovers a "super power" they have, they can use it and show that they are someone who can blend in with just about any group they choose. I really enjoyed not only reading about Sky's super power but the illustrations were excellent as well. While I don't read or review many children's books with a sports theme, I decided to try this and I am glad that I did.

I received an advance review copy and am leaving this review voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment