Friday, April 10, 2015

Musinig - Montreal Expos fever

This week has brought me to Plattsburgh, NY near the Canadian border.  While the occasion was a sad one - the funeral of my wife's uncle was today - I found out that here in this small town about one hour from Montreal that the spirit of the Montreal Expos is still very much alive.

Montreal Expos (1992 - 2004)I have seen several people decked out in Expos gear and at the local mall that sells sports apparel, Expos shirts and hats were plentiful.  I got in this spirit and picked up a Pedro Martinez Expos shirt - and I plan on wearing it this summer when my wife and I will be attending the Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, NY.

I also was talking sports with a young woman at the front desk of our hotel.  While she is first and foremost a hockey fan (Montreal Canadiens, of course), we also talked baseball and she had fond memories of her and her parents going to Olympic Stadium and watching the Expos.  I thought it was great to just listen to someone who enjoyed being a fan of that team, even though it was apparent that even though it has been more than 10 years since they left for Washington she still pines to attend another game. 

Another example of what I always believe about baseball fans - they are the most loyal fans to a team, no matter what happens to that team in either the won-loss record or thier geographical location.   Once a fan, always a fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment