Friday, May 16, 2014

Short review of "When Chicago Ruled Baseball"

I just completed a book by Bernard Weisberger about the 1906 World Series between the Cubs and White Sox that was quite entertaining.  I wasn't going to post a review of it here because I am working on other books as well.  However I decided to post a short review here and on Goodreads since I highly recommend this book to baseball fans.  I don't have my form template available so here is a short review of the book.  Enjoy!

Title:
"When Chicago Ruled Baseball: The Cubs-White Sox World Series of 1906" by Bernard Weisberger"



Rating:
4 of 5 stars (very good)

Review:

This was a good account of not only the games and results of the 1906 World Series (the only one in which Chicago's two teams have faced each other) but also of the times in which those games were played.  The reader will feel the differences between the small bandbox parks in which the games were played compared to today's stadiums.  The games themselves were different as well with better pitching to offset weaker hitting and fielding than what we have today.  Finally the reader will read about the players attempting to form unions, the owners trying to hold salaries down and some general labor unrest.  Now THAT is similar to many of the off field issues we hear about today.  An enjoyable read for any baseball fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment